Saturday, November 1, 2014

I don't have a Twitter Account (GASP)

I don't have a twitter account.  And I don't feel like I need one.  It is such a time waster; full of non-sense, irrelevant, self-absorbed and random information. I don't really care whether my neighbor is having coffee with our another neighbor at my favorite coffee spot and I wasn't invited.   I don't have time for any of that.  I don't need big companies or political campaigns to bombard me with their messages or try to sell me a great deal only available for the next 3 second.  I may be called a geek and don't really follow celebrities, musicians, fashion models, or whatever and whoever else may post on twitter.

That was all before I read The Construction of a Twitter Aesthetic.  Eric Jarosinski, professor at U Penn, started to tweet out of boredom and built a twitter persona that was "extremely liberating".  It brought back his passion for more literary works of Frankfurt school philosophers, namely their aphorisms.  He has been approached by German book publishers, opinion pages, and cultural magazines.

That's more like the twitter I would want to join.  One that is "a viable platform for metacognition, forcing users to be brief and to the point - an important skill in thinking clearly and communicating effectively."

 

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more. I have been really hesitant to set up a Twitter account. I didn't really feel there was any need to have one and didn't see the benefits. My own source of Twitter was my students and they didn't do a great job convincing me that I needed one. I have realized that I can use Twitter the way I want to. I can follow journalists, news shows, authors, etc. to further my interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I set one up just to follow news, particularly sports. I do not have much experience tweeting and find little value in posting my location or evenings activity. However, many people are and I think it is important to know how. In saying that, I think all people should find the technology outlets that work best for them. In this case, more is not better. More quality and use is better.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete