Friday, November 28, 2014

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

This class, along with the textbook, promises exciting opportunity for social learning through 'connective writing' - the sharing of ideas via blog posts and the conversational potential via reader comments.

Even a list like 100+ examples of use of social media for learning is full of teacher 'oh , ah' excitement over their own classroom uses of social media.

But am I really connecting with my fellow classmates? Yes & no.  I diligently read through my classmates' blog posts and comment on the ones which I feel I have a comment on.  I hope they appreciate my comments.

But is anyone finding my blog and commenting?   The answer is no, not enough! I have twelve posts thus far (not including this one) but only have comments on 3 of them.  That's only 25% of my posts.  Are the other posts being read?  Enjoyed?  Learned from?  I have no idea...not even one comment from the instructor...hmm...

Some may argue, as expressed in Reflections on Being a Blogger, that blogging is more of a self reflection, a way to be honest and expressive with your own thoughts.  But I still argue that receiving comments further clarify those personal reflections and help the writer re-examine what he/she has written.

As we wrap up with week six of the course and having received very little comment on my blog posts, I wonder how to better utilize blogs in my own classrooms so my students can truly benefit from social and connective writing?

2 comments:

  1. I have, also, had the same thoughts on blogging that you are....are my posts being read or learned from?....with little comments to go on, I wonder what others think and know that my students will require more contact/comments from myself and others in order to benefit from the connective writing otherwise they will get much more easily discouraged than we might be.
    As for your blog posts, I do read your with anticipation as I enjoy the way you write your thoughts and musings. In fact, I have gone to view my RSS feeds only to be disappointed to see you and our other classmates have not posted anything new. So while I may have commented infrequently as I don't always feel I have something insightful to add, I do read your blog faithfully and you reward me with words to ponder and often relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heba and Alexandra,

    Great coincidence, I was about to make a blog post and title with along the same lines. I've actually received zero comments on anything on my blog. Perhaps this is less to due to the content and more about enabling connectivity tech (is RSS enough) or a vigilance issue (what do people get out of it?) it's also difficult without much feedback on our blog activity to stay engaged and motivated. That being said, I have been having fun just practicing writing and posting in a vacuum. Keep writing! I'll try to do some black-commenting,

    Garrett
    http://edublog.cmich.edu/munro1gr/

    ReplyDelete